Light/thin fonts are the fonts that are usually slim and slender than usually fonts. Using light fonts one can create beautiful typography, websites, banner and etc. In this post we are exploring basic characteristics of lights fonts , some examples of light fonts and sharing some best free light fonts on the web.
What the Hell is Light Font?
Light font does not mean that the font will be titled as light font. It is all about visual aesthetic. One way to distinguish light font is obviously the size . The font body size is very thin and most light font tend to have pointed serif and ascender . For example : look at the following image. There are couple of light fonts in the image compared to regular Helvetica. That should give you general idea what light fonts should looks like. Some fonts also goes to Ultra Light which are really really thin.
Below are some examples of how light fonts are used in web design. You will see that light fonts are used in title, tagline, navigation, buttons and more through out these websites . We have highlighted the area where light fonts are used.
Do’s of Light Font
- Use contrarys color such as dark background color and light font color or dark font color and light background color.
- Use Bigger font size. Use it for tagline, little intro, headline.
- Keep it simple
Don’ts of Light Font
- Don’t make the font color similar page content! Makes the font hard to read
- Since the font is already light don’t use tiny tiny size such 10 px. Keep it above 14px. Makes the font legible.
- Don’t over use it. Light font pops out when it is used wisely among regular fonts. Using too much light font make the webpage distracting and visually annoying.
- Don’t try Letterpress with light fonts. Probably won’t see the effect.
Web Safe Light Fonts ?
Best Light Fonts on the Web
We went through couple of font websites and gathered most downloaded and nice looking light fonts. Yes they are all free.
More Light Fonts
There could lot more things we have not covered about the light fonts. Feel free share your opinion and ideas.